Every year, we invite honorary jurors who are the movers in the design disciplines. As we honor their design knowledge and experience without prejudice, they equally evaluate design competition entries worldwide. UDA honors and thank them for their valuable service to UDA.
Honorary Jurors are…
AIGA Medalist, CEO Coy LA, Los Angeles, USA
John Coy is one of the founders of the AIGA/LA chapter and its first president. He established Coy, Los Angeles, in 1980, focusing on corporate identity and publication design for clients in the performing and fine arts. His work has influenced Los Angeles through work for the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Segerstrom Center for the Arts, Los Angeles Opera, Laguna College of Art and Design, and Chester College of New England. Many of Coy’s designs are in museum collections, including New York’s Cooper Hewitt, and Smithsonian Design Museum. Coy has taught design at Otis College of Art and Design, ArtCenter, California Institute of the Arts, Laguna College of Art and Design, and the University of California, Los Angeles. In 2011, Coy became an AIGA Fellow.
- CEO & Creative Director of Coy LA, USA
- AIGA Medalist
- One of the founders of the AIGA/LA chapter
- The first president of the AIGA/LA chapter
Creative Director at CUE, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Alan Colvin has worked within branding and design companies, on the client side, as an independent consultant, and as a business owner. Working with some of the best creative talents globally, across design and communication disciplines, and including two AIGA medalists, Alan has created and led award-winning work in brand identity, print, packaging, digital and environmental design.
President of AIGA Los Angele
Sam Cabrera is an award-winning experience designer, educator, and community leader based in Los Angeles. Formerly of Gensler and SapientNitro, Sam works closely with her clients to solve complex challenges and lead cross-disciplinary teams to create meaningful experiences. Over the last decade, she has worked with global brands and start-ups across numerous industries, such as Neiman Marcus, Riot Games, MGM Resorts, Caesars Entertainment, Bright Horizons, ByHeart, HyundaiCard, and Patient Pattern. An advocate for ethics and inclusive design practices, Sam believes that designers are uniquely positioned to create a more equitable world that helps businesses and all people thrive.
- First Latina, a woman of color, President of AIGA Los Angele’s 38+ year chapter history.
- Speaker, moderator, and guest lecturer, including most recently, was honored to be the Keynote speaker at USC’s Riptide Conference in 2022.
- Leadership and work with AIGA Los Angeles are quoted and mentioned in AdWeek, Communication Arts, and Print Magazine.
- Most recently, AIGA LA became an industry partner with the CA Department of Education CTE AME to aid with the AME Emerging Careers and Workforce Training Initiative.
- Is one of the newest members of the Dean’s Advisory Council for the College of Environmental Design at Cal Poly Pomona.
Creative Director at Kame Design, Germany
Joachim’s capabilities span information design, logos, identity design, illustration, character creation, typography, and typeface design, offering 31 years of experience in print media and 21 years in web, interface, and type design. He taught and lectured on information and type design in over ten countries. His work is characterized by an expressive, direct visual language that always comes to the point. His diverse background and interest in Asia and Europe make him quintessentially cross-cultural, between modernist and experimental.
- CEO & Creative Director of Kame Design, Germany
- Professor of Paju Typography Institute (PaTI), Korea
- Gold Prize, Morisawa Typeface Design Competition
- The Best Typefaces for the New Millennium by Association Typographique Internationale and United Nations
CEO & FOUNDER Brandcelona (Spain) and Brandlond (UK)
Marc is a cross-sectional designer and brand consultant. He founded brandcelona® in Barcelona and brandlond® in London, a business creative consultancy agency. Combining brand design and consultancy services with university teaching. Marc Guitart has been awarded several international prizes throughout his career and teaches and lectures in different universities internationally.
- Owner and director of the awarded methodology Cyclical Branding
- Worldstar of Packaging. Award for packaging excellence
- DBA, Design Business Association member. London
- Visitor lecturer at IED Barcelona, Madrid and Roma, University of Westminster London, Interamericana de Panama, Universidad Externado de Bogota, Istituto Marangoni London and other universities.
- Employability Advisory Board Member at the University of Westminster.
JOHN T. DREW
Professor of Graphic and Interactive Design at California State University, USA
John T. Drew is the Innovation Center for Design Excellence Executive Director and the Principal Investigator of the Innovation Center for Design Excellence White Paper on App Visual Accessibility (ICDE 2020). He is the co-author of Color Management: A Comprehensive Guide for Graphic Designers (Allworth Press 2012, Rotovison 2005); Choosing Color for Logos & Packaging (Rotovision 2009); Color Management for Packaging (Rotovision 2008); Color Management for Logos (Rotovision 2006); Acuity Color Matching System (Rotovision 2005), and the coeditor and contributing author to Design Education in Progress: Process and Methodology (CDSCAD- Virginia Commonwealth University Press). His books have been translated into nine foreign languages and distributed to over 160 countries. Professor Drew holds a U.S. patent for The Effect of Distance on Typographic Form, Color, and Motion.
Associate Professor, Fitchburg State University, Massachusetts, USA
Donald Tarallo has taught at Clark University, RISD, the Fraunhofer Institute’s Digital Media program, Samsung Art and Design Institute, and Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts in China and has worked as a graphic designer and photographer. Before then, he worked as an Art Director and photographer in Oslo, Norway. Since 2000, he has maintained a freelance practice focusing on visual identity and design, where he developed a new identity system for Sotheby’s. During his time in Seoul, he was a design manager for Interbrand, Korea, where he worked on numerous global branding and visual identity systems. His work has been awarded by the AIGA and published in China, Korea, and the US.
Professor, Anadolu University, Eskisehir, Turkey
Melike has taught graphic design, book design, printmaking, drawing, and graduate courses on identity design, environmental design, infographics, and design research. She has conducted workshops worldwide and has worked on printed matters. She has opened solo exhibitions with her print works and has written two books on book design and environmental graphic design. Her design works are mainly focused on book design, and she is working on research projects on design.
- Published book on book design in 2013
- Published book on environmental graphic design in 2013
- Department head 2019
- Book cover award Graphic Designers Allience (GMK) 2014